The first written document about the castle came from 1583 when a croatia nobel Ungnada invited some other noble families for his daugher wedding. Since then the castle undertook many smaller or bigger reconstruction. The more significant reconstruction took place in 1603, 1679 and in 1769 was the castle reconstructed into the nowaday appierance. In this year the renesaince castle was reconstructed in to the baroco style. The castle was mostly in possesion of two important noble families – Erdody and Palfy.
The centrum of the castle is created by a central twofloors high object with the baroco and some renesaince signs. Around the central building are located four rokoko style pavilons. Castle had orriginaly 45 rooms with mostly vaulted ceilings.
In 1918 a massive attac from locals and Hungarian solders caused enormous damages on the castle, and most of the valuable furniture, paintings and other artifacts were destroyed or stolen.
In the second half of the 20th century the castle was used as a primary school and after a new school was built, the castle become abandoned