Welcome to the shepherd's Cottage, a priceless gem of Ireland's ancient heritage that sits deep in the heart of a horseshoe of mountains and at the foothill of one of Ireland's highest peaks, Mullach an Aitinn (Summit of the Gorse). Known simply to the locals as "The Pocket".
Situated at the end of a completely private cul-de-sac, there are no over-looking houses, and no passing cars. This, thankfully, is how it will always remain untarnished by time and untouched by the outside world. With mountains on three sides and a river running along the fourth, the cottage and its three-acre site are an island of peace and tranquillity. The silence to be found here is calming to the soul.
The cottage is a faithful reconstruction of a shepherd's cottage which had been in The Pocket for over a hundred years. The original cottage had looked so natural sitting amidst the mountains, as if it had always been there. This was a dwelling that was truly at home; as much a part of this ancient place as the mountains and river themselves.
The shepherd's Cottage remains accessible with breath-taking drives in every direction. Just 20 minutes away is the delightful town of Sneem, 30 minutes drive would bring you to the lovely town of Kenmare or a 45 minute drive through the mountains and national parks would take you to the famously beautiful town of Killarney. Sandy beaches are nearby as are renowned lakes, rivers and waterfalls.
5 x 4.3
- The kitchen features a traditional high ceiling, the floor is solid limestone flags approximately two inches in thickness.
4.5 x 4.3
- The floor is made from eight inch wide solid pine, and a large antique oak beam to the lower ceiling creates a very warm and cosy feel.
4.5 x 2.8
- This room has a high ceiling, two windows in the gable end and one Velux window in the ceiling.
- en-suite comprising of a large shower unit, w/c and wash basin
4.3 x 3.6
- Bedroom two which has a high ceiling, a window high in the gable end, a window overlooking the walled front garden, and a Velux window for extra light.
4.5 x 3.5
- This room features a traditionally high ceiling; it also features a window high in the gable end, plus a window on each side of the bedroom.
3 x 3.5
- The bathroom has a hot press (airing cupboard), a corner shower unit, inset bath with rounded ends and centre brass taps, w/c, washbasin, two pine wood gothic mirrors and a gothic towel rail.